Saturday 6 December 2008

Wet Christmas

Much like the chaos/excited buzz caused by a few damp flakes of snow on the maritime shores of the 'couv, the Emirates have been atwitter with rain fever the past few days. Radio announcers discus driving tips and hold call-in shows for needy listeners to ring up and talk about whether they like the rain better... or the sun. Woo, the stimulation.
So anyway, it rained today, and not for a minute – for like, the entire morning. The thunder woke me up, and the weather nerd in me admits to leaping out of bed, throwing open my brown ultra-suede drapes (hey, they block out the light) and shoving my head out into the raindrops. Seriously, I felt the same way I used to when the rain turned to sleet in Vancouver.You know, those times when the city descended into outward, airwave-choking disdain for the "chance it might stick," but we all secretly had one hand behind our backs, fingers crossed, that we could, for a day, play in snow.
But back to the desert...
You should see how this place floods with a few milimetres of rain. Sure, there are storm drains. But I'm sure there is also 10 months of dust and garbage clogging them up, and this pervasive sentiment that, eh, it doesn't really rain here pretty sums up the attitude to their maintenance.
But apparently, year after year, the same floods of oily, gritty ashphalt water pool over the streets. From the non rain, I guess.

Christmas decorations are in store for tomorrow. I guess I'll be ramming a petroleum-based Noble Fir into the back seat of a cab tomorrow. I guess, in a way, I'm buying locally! At least I'm no longer scorched to embers when trying in vain to hail a taxi. It was cool, green and bright, like a whole new breezy city after the rains cleared.

But like I'm sure you're all aware, when the conversation turns to the weather... you've got nothing left to say.

Except that I dowloaded the entire Kenny Rogers Christmas Greetings album. With the original track listing from its 1981 release. How's that for festive?

No comments: