Monday 8 December 2008

Are you kidding MEid?

The dawn of the Eid holiday here in the Abu Dhabs brings with it the most inexcusably wretched, solemn, minaret-blasted cleric chants from the ubiquitous mosque. For HOURS.
Who wants to listen to this crap for so long, anyway? Are they truly kidding themselves? I mean, surely, all religious people are, right? Why not devout Muslims?

...Okay, so a few days have gone by since I bitched above. It's really just holy Friday's endless droning, with no melody and with boredom creeping into the cleric's voice that I can't stand. So the thing I've got to clear up is that the calls to prayer are actually beautiful – even if they're akin to something that might drift out of a 1920s gramophone, complete with crackle. But that's part of their niche, I think. There's nothing in the world that sounds quite like a Muslim city being called to pray.

For better or worse, but it grows on you after awhile.

No comments: